Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Home

September 4th, 2012, Noah was discharged from the NICU after a long 8 weeks. Every day since his birth we traveled to the hospital, scrubbed our hands at the NICU entrance, and sat in Noah's room for hours at a time. Some days when we were there we couldn't even hold him or touch him. So we sat and watched his monitors instead. I learned a lot in that little room. I knew what every alarm and bell meant. We were taught how to care for Noah's tracheostomy and g-tube. We learned that our lives had changed forever.

There were a lot of preparations that went into bringing Noah home. We had to get set up with a nursing company as well as a durable medical equipment company. About a week before discharge, a guy from the equipment company came and dropped off all of Noah's equipment. Overwhelming is an understatement. He showed me how to work all of the machines and basic trouble shooting. Then he left. And I had a living room full of stuff. Where do I put it all? How should I set it up so that it's easy and functional? That was totally not something I was really prepared for. But in the end, with some tweaking from nurses as we went along, everything has a place and most things are labeled so that it really is easy and functional.

We had to do 2 nights of "rooming in" at the hospital. Rooming in means that we had to do 100% of Noah's care for 2 nights. The nurses didn't do much except come in and check on us every so often. They were there as a safety net in case something happened. We had to bring all of our own equipment, too. The first night was a Thursday night when Nathan and I stayed. Then Friday night, my Mom came with me since Nathan had gone back to work. Everything went well on both nights and we were all set for discharge on Tuesday!

On Tuesday, Nathan and I were so antsy. We arrived at the hospital a little before noon since we were told that discharges usually happened between 12 and 2. There was a lot of waiting around and there was also a little girl in very critical condition that was getting admitted right next door to us. Needless to say, we were very low priority and hardly saw any nurses the whole time. Finally I stepped out in the hall and asked what was going on.... we were so beyond ready to go.

And that was it.... we were free!

We got Noah in his stroller and walked up and down the halls of the NICU, saying our goodbyes to everyone that had taken such good care of our baby. They truly saved his life and they mean more to me than I can ever say.

It was a weird feeling driving away. That was it. It seemed so anti-climactic for such a traumatic time in our lives. I was sad and scared and happy and anxious all at the same time. I knew we were trained so well about how to take care of Noah's medical needs. But I still didn't know him as my baby. He was so hard to figure out. He cried and slept. Slept and cried. I had nurses telling me he was having seizures and telling me to medicate him because he was crying so much. It was frustrating that I couldn't take care of him without someone standing over us making sure I was doing it right. I still get frustrated in that way sometimes. After a few blurry months things did get better. I figured Noah out just as he had to adjust to new surroundings and life outside the hospital.

It was hard and continues to be a challenge each day. But I am so glad we are home. I would never have it any other way. Yes, our home is a mini-hospital and we have people here all the freaking time. But I am so in love with my Noah and so happy he gets to be home with us. This first year home has taught me so many things. Not only medical things but things about myself. I had to learn how to be an advocate. To stand up for myself in a world where everyone has their own agenda. I had to learn how to network with others and research things to help Noah. I know I am a much different person now. Maybe slightly more grouchy but also stronger and more independent than I ever thought I could be or would have to be.

Happy 1 year Home-iversary, Noah Jack!

I love you with all of my heart!



First time at home in his bed.






No comments:

Post a Comment